As summer rolls around, who doesn’t love a salad?
½ cup BARLEYmax™ kibble
1 cup water
1 cup brown rice
1 cup wild rice
2 red capsicum
1 yellow capsicum
4 celery stalks
4 spring onions
½ cup pine nuts
1 handful coriander, roughly chopped
Seeds from one pomegranate
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup soy sauce
Juice from ½ lemon
2 tbsp honey
1 large garlic clove, crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the BARLEYmax™ kibble in the water for half hour, or until the water is all absorbed.
- Cook the brown and wild rice (separately) on the stove or in a rice cooker. Allow to cool.
- Finely dice the capsicums, celery and spring onions and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat, until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Add the pine nuts, coriander and pomegranate seeds to the diced vegetables.
- Combine with the rice and toss through the sunflower seeds.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- Serve the salad on a large platter.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.
- Toasted almonds can be used instead of pine nuts.
This recipe has been developed by Teri Lichtenstein APD, adopted from the Monday Morning Cook Book – Middle Eastern Crunch Salad.
Intended as general advice only. Consult your health care professional to discuss any specific concerns.