Pack these soft and chewy bars as an on-the-go snack.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
Makes: approximately 20 bars
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or essence
- 100g BARLEYmax™ flakes
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds
- 1/2 cup mixed, unsalted nuts (such as slivered almonds, pistachios, walnuts)
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- In a small mixing bowl, place chia seeds and water. Stir and set aside until the chia seeds have soaked up all the water.
- Place the coconut oil and maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until melted and combined.
- Pour coconut oil and maple syrup mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the dried cranberries, sultanas, vanilla paste, BARLEYmax™ flakes, pepita seeds, slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, shredded coconut, sesame seeds, cinnamon and chia seeds and mix well to combine.
- Spoon into a lightly greased slice tin (approximately 20 x 30cm), lined with non-stick baking paper. Flatten the mixture using the back of a spoon. Bake until golden, approximately 30 – 45 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Cool completely in the fridge before cutting into bars to serve. Store in an airtight container or in the fridge for up to one week.
Intended as general advice only. Consult your health care professional to discuss any specific concerns.